Tips When Visiting Winter Park:
- Wear Sunscreen –Winter Park Colorado is 9,052 feet above sea level and that means it is 9,052 feet closer to the sun. To protect yourself and your family from the sun’s harmful rays we recommend wearing sunscreen that is at least 30 SPF.
- Eye protection – Sunglasses and hats are lifesavers when it comes to protecting your eyes from the sun’s harmful rays. Wear them, your eyes will thank you!
- Wear and bring layers – The saying in Colorado is, “if you don’t like the weather, wait five minutes.” The weather is constantly changing here in Winter Park, Colorado so make sure you’re prepared for anything. We suggest layering with synthetic and waterproof fabrics when hiking or outdoors. Should the weather change, you’ll be prepared for whatever Mother Nature throws your way.
- Sturdy Shoes – When visiting Winter Park, pack your comfortable outdoors shoes and sandals and leave your stilettos at home. Locals will laugh if you wear stilettos or other goofy shoes around town. Consider yourself warned. You’ll want shoes with sturdy soles so you can hike up steep inclines, get wet, and maneuver rocky terrain. Not as stylish as you’d like? Don’t worry no one cares out here and functionality always trumps style anyway.
- Slow down, It’s CO Time – Visitors remark on the slow pace of life in the mountains, and we say embrace it! Don’t worry about getting anywhere fast. You’ll get there when you get there. During the summer months don’t be surprised if you come across a tractor, a cow, 100 cows, or a million bikers in the road.
- Drink Water – Water, water, water! We can’t stress it enough. Start loading up on water the day you leave for Colorado and continue for your entire stay. Many visitors (and their pets) suffer from altitude sickness upon arriving in the mountains. The best way to prevent the nausea, headaches, and other symptoms associated with altitude sickness is hydration. So drink up!
- Be Friendly – Between the sun, the mountains, and the lifestyle, Colorado is one of the happiest states in the county. So jump on our happy train and start waving to fellow drivers, smiling at random people, lending a helping hand, and striking up conversations with people you encounter. You just might pass as a local or make a new friend.
Click here for Winter Park Colorado Summer event Information